- vt. 达到，实现；获得；到达
- vi. 达到；获得；到达
- n. 成就
CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
前缀at-同ad-. -tain同词根tang, 接触，触摸，见tangent, 相切。进入法语字母g脱落。
- attain:  Unlike contain, maintain, obtain, and the rest of a very long list of English words ending in -tain, attain does not come from Latin tenēre ‘_hold’. Its source is Latin tangere ‘touch’ (as in English tangible and tangent). The addition of the prefix ad- ‘to’ produced attingere ‘reach’, which passed via Vulgar Latin *attangere and Old French ataindre into English.
=> tangent, tangible
- attain (v.)
- c. 1300, "to succeed in reaching," from ataign-, stem of Old French ataindre (11c., Modern French atteindre) "to come up to, reach, attain, endeavor, strive," from Vulgar Latin *attangere, corresponding to Latin attingere "to touch, to arrive at," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + tangere "to touch" (see tangent (adj.)). Latin attingere had a wide range of meanings, including "to attack, to strike, to appropriate, to manage," all somehow suggested by the literal sense "to touch." Related: Attained; attaining.
- 1. Top-ranking sumo wrestlers attain superstar status.
- 2. The cheetah can attain speeds of up to 97 kph.
- 3. The day is not far off when China will attain prosperity.
- 4. Still greater efforts are needed before we can attain our goal.
- 5. For us, it's something that we may aspire to but can never attain.
- 对我们来说, 那是可望而不可即的.
[ attain 造句 ]