CET4 TEM4 考 研 TOEFL CET6
前缀ab-,离开。-sence为essence缩写，指存在，词根esse的名称形式, 词源同is ,am .
- absence (n.)
- late 14c., from Old French absence (14c.), from Latin absentia, noun of state from absentem (nominative absens), present participle of abesse "be away from, be absent," from ab- "away" (see ab-) + esse "to be" (see essence).
Absence makes the heart grow fonder
[Thomas Haynes Bayly (1797-1839) "Isle of Beauty"]
- 1. There has been much gossip about the possible reasons for his absence.
- 2. I suspect he isn't altogether unhappy about my absence.
- 3. The official reason given for the President's absence was sickness.
- 4. A military court sentenced him to death in his absence.
- 5. In our absence the office gossips are probably having a field day.
[ absence 造句 ]