- vt. 装饰；使生色
- n. (Adorn)人名；(泰)阿隆
CET6+ TEM8 GRE TOEFL
前缀ad-, 去，往。词根orn,装饰，见ornament, 装饰物，词源同词根ord, 安排，见order.
- adorn: see ornament
- adorn (v.)
- late 14c., "to decorate, embellish," also "be an ornament to," from Old French aorner "to order, arrange, dispose, equip; adorn," from Latin adornare "equip, provide, embellish," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + ornare "prepare, furnish, adorn, fit out," from stem of ordo "order" (see order (n.)). The -d- was reinserted by French scribes 14c., in English from late 15c. Related: Adorned; adorning.
- 1. His water-colour designs adorn a wide range of books.
- 2. Indigo tattoos adorn her forehead.
- 3. Several magnificent oil paintings adorn the walls.
- 4. She loved to adorn herself with finery.
- 5. These qualities adorn the character of Portia , and these go to accomplish a perfect woman.
- 这些品质使得鲍西娅的性格更加光彩照人, 也使得一个高尚的女性形象更加完美.
[ adorn 造句 ]