- n. 资本家；九点活字；中产阶级的人；追求物质享受和社会地位者
- adj. 资产阶级的；中产阶级的；贪图享受的
- n. (Bourgeois)人名；(英、法、德)布儒瓦
CET6+ TEM4 GRE CET6
1. *burg- / *bourg- 'protect, fortress' (whence also bury), a variant of *berg- (source of English barrow 'mound' and German berg 'mountain') and *borg- (source of English borrow).
2. *burg- / *bourg- meaning began to change from 'fortress', through 'fortified town', to simply 'town'.
3. *bourg- + ( -eis / -ois => -eois ) => bourgeois "town dweller" (as distinct from "peasant").
4. 本义：body of freemen in a French town, the French middle class in the town.
5. In communist and socialist writing, as noun, "capitalist".
- bourgeois: see borough
- bourgeois (adj.)
- 1560s, "of the French middle class," from French bourgeois, from Old French burgeis, borjois "town dweller" (see bourgeoisie). Sense of "socially or aesthetically conventional" is from 1764; in communist and socialist writing, as a noun, "a capitalist" (1883).
It is better to be a good ordinary bourgeois than a bad ordinary bohemian. [Aldous Huxley, 1930]
- 1. His privileged bourgeois family insisted on a good education.
- 2. He thought they might infect others with their bourgeois ideas.
- 3. He had a petit bourgeois mentality.
- 4. a traditional bourgeois family
- 5. The princess was ostracised for marrying a rich bourgeois.
[ bourgeois 造句 ]