TEM8 IELTS GRE TOEFL
1. antho- + -logy.
2. literally "flower-gathering".
3. => collection of small poems and epigrams by several authors, collection of poetry.
4. => Modern sense is metaphoric, "flowers" of verse, small poems by various writers gathered together.
词根anth，花。词根log, 摘，拾，收集，此处用摘花比喻选出好的文章。同leg, 本义为摘，拾，见collect, 收集，elect, 选出。引申义1）法律，收集的规则，见legal, 合法的。2）词，说话，见lecture, 演讲，lexicon,词典。3）木头，煤，指收集的木头，见ligneous, 木质的，lignite, 褐煤。
- anthology (n.)
- 1630s, "collection of poetry," from Latin anthologia, from Greek anthologia "collection of small poems and epigrams by several authors," literally "flower-gathering," from anthos "a flower" (see anther) + logia "collection, collecting," from legein "gather" (see lecture (n.)). Modern sense (which emerged in Late Greek) is metaphoric, "flowers" of verse, small poems by various writers gathered together.
- 1. Despite some artful editing, the anthology is a weak one.
- 2. Michael Rosen is the editor of the anthology.
- 3. The anthology has a surprising sense of coherence.
- 4. His works are included in this anthology of stories.
- 5. It is an anthology that crackles with wit and wisdom.
[ anthology 造句 ]