1、sub- "under" + umbr- + -e. => subumbre => sombre => somber.
来自法语 sombre,黑暗的，昏暗的，来自拉丁语 subumbrare,笼罩，使蒙上影子，来自 sub-, 在下面，umbra,影子，阴影，词源同 umbrella,伞，字面意思即小影子。引申比喻义阴郁的， 沮丧的等。
- somber (adj.)
- 1760 "gloomy, shadowy" (earlier sombrous, c. 1730), from French sombre "dark, gloomy," from Old French sombre (14c.), from an adjective from Late Latin subumbrare "to shadow," from sub "under" (see sub-) + umbra "shade, shadow," perhaps from a suffixed form of PIE *andho- "blind, dark" (see umbrage). Related: Somberly; somberness.
- 1. That was a somber January day.
- 2. He had a somber expression on his face.
- 3. His coat was a somber brown.
- 4. She was dressed in somber black.
- 5. A funeral is a somber occasion.
[ somber 造句 ]