- vt. 使麻木；毁坏
- vi. 死亡；毁灭；腐烂；枯萎
CET6 TEM8 IELTS GRE 考 研
1. from per- "through" + ire "go" (see ion) => perire "be lost, perish," literally "go through" => perish.
2. 易混词注意区分：parish, perish.
- perish (v.)
- mid-13c., from periss- present participle stem of Old French perir "perish, be lost, be shipwrecked" (12c.), from Latin perire "to be lost, perish," literally "to go through," from per- "through, completely, to destruction" (see per) + ire "to go" (see ion). Related: Perished; perishing.
- 1. Buddhism had to adapt to the new world or perish.
- 2. Me a policeman! Perish the thought!
- 3. Crowns and thrones may perish.
- 4. We don't have a computer (perish the thought) and have only recently bought an electric typewriter.
- 5. Your bodies and names will perish, but the river will flow on for ever -- the names of mediocre writers will be forgottern, but those of the great masters will live.
- 尔曹身与名俱灭, 不废江河万古流.
[ perish 造句 ]