- adj. 椭圆的；卵形的
- n. 椭圆形；卵形
- n. (Oval)人名；(法)奥瓦尔
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1. ov- "egg" + -al.
2. => egg-shaped.
- oval (adj.)
- 1570s, from Modern Latin ovalis "egg-shaped" (source of French oval, 1540s), literally "of or pertaining to an egg," from Latin ovum "egg" (see ovary). The classical Latin word was ovatus.
- oval (n.)
- 1560s, from Middle French ovalle "oval figure," from Medieval Latin ovalis (see oval (adj.)).
- 1. Congress is waiting to see how the Oval Office will react.
- 2. The shape of the earth is an oval.
- 3. The leaf is oval in shape.
- 4. The clock stands on an oval marble base, enclosed by a glass dome.
- 5. The President's address tonight from the Oval Office is a curtain-raiser for the economic policy message set for delivery to Congress on Wednesday.
[ oval 造句 ]