- n. 狭板；梯级；诗句；五线谱表
- vt. 延缓；击穿；凿孔于；压扁
- vi. 破碎；穿孔
- n. (Stave)人名；(德)施塔弗；(英、瑞典)斯特夫
回构自 staves,棍，棒，来自 staff 的复数形式。比较 knife,knives.
- stave (n.)
- "piece of a barrel," 1750, back-formation from staves (late 14c.), plural of staff, with the usual change of medial -f- to -v- (compare leaves/leaf). The plural form possibly was in Old English but not recorded there.
- stave (v.)
- 1540s, "to fit with staves," from stave (n.). The meaning "break into staves" is from 1590s (with in from 1748, chiefly nautical, on notion of bashing in the staves of a cask). Past tense stove. Stave off (1620s), however, is literally "keep off with a staff," as of one beset by wolves or dogs. Related: Staved; staving.
- 1. He is utterly ignorant of staff [ stave ] .
- 他对 五线谱 一窍不通.
- 2. Many people switch on the television simply to stave off boredom over the Christmas break.
- 3. In a desperate attempt to stave off defeat, he reluctantly promised wholesale reform of the constitution.
- 4. But the reality of discovery was a different matter, and he did all he could to stave it off.
- 5. To stave off disaster we could look only to them.
[ stave 造句 ]