- vt. 埋葬；隐藏
- n. (Bury)人名；(法)比里；(英、西)伯里；(德、意、罗、波、捷、匈)布里；(俄)布雷
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
1. *burg- / *bourg- 'protect, fortress' (whence also bury), a variant of *berg- (source of English barrow 'mound' and German berg 'mountain, hill') and *borg- (source of English borrow).
2. *burg- => bury. 与 burrow 等单词同源。
来自PIE *bhergh, 保护，埋藏。词源同harbor, 港口。
- bury: [OE] Modern English bury is a descendant of Old English byrgan, which came from the Germanic base *burg- (source also of English borough). The underlying meaning of the base was ‘protection, shelter’, and in the case of bury this referred to ‘covering a dead body with earth’ (in Old English, bury applied only to interment; the general sense ‘put underground’ did not develop until the 14th century). The derived burial goes back to Old English byrgels, which in Middle English times was mistaken for a plural.
- bury (v.)
- Old English byrgan "to raise a mound, hide, bury, inter," akin to beorgan "to shelter," from Proto-Germanic *burzjan- "protection, shelter" (cognates: Old Saxon bergan, Dutch bergen, Old Norse bjarga, Swedish berga, Old High German bergan "protect, shelter, conceal," German bergen, Gothic bairgan "to save, preserve"), from PIE root *bhergh- (1) "to hide, protect" (cognates: Old Church Slavonic brego "I preserve, guard"). Related: Buried; burying. Burying-ground "cemetery" attested from 1711.
The Old English -y- was a short "oo" sound, like modern French -u-. Under normal circumstances it transformed into Modern English -i- (as in bridge, kiss, listen, sister), but in bury and a few other words (as in merry, knell) it retained a Kentish change to "e" that took place in the late Old English period. In the West Midlands, meanwhile, the Old English -y- sound persisted, slightly modified over time, giving the standard modern pronunciation of blush, much, church.
- 1. When we feel anger, we bury the emotion and feel guilty instead.
- 2. His reaction was to withdraw, to bury himself in work.
- 3. It is time to bury our past misunderstandings.
- 4. Will the time never come when we may honourably bury the hatchet?
- 难道我们永远不可能有个体面地休战的时候 吗 ?
- 5. It's time to bury our differences and be friends again.
[ bury 造句 ]