- vi. 停止；终了
- vt. 停止；结束
- n. 停止
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
3. say stop 简称：say "s" (与cease发音相同).
词源同cede, 走，离开，词源同accede, cession。
- cease:  Cease comes via Old French cesser from Latin cessāre ‘delay, stop’. This was derived from cessus, the past participle of cēdere ‘go away, withdraw, yield’, which was also the basis of cessation , from Latin cessātiō.
- cease (v.)
- c. 1300, cesen, from Old French cesser "to come to an end, stop, cease; give up, desist," from Latin cessare "to cease, go slow, give over, leave off, be idle," frequentative of cedere (past participle cessus) "go away, withdraw, yield" (see cede). Related: Ceased; ceasing. Old English in this sense had geswican, blinnan.
- cease (n.)
- "cessation, stopping," c. 1300, from cease (n.) or else from Old French cesse "cease, cessation," from cesser.
- 1. It hurt so badly he wished to cease to be.
- 2. Once our services cease to be useful to them, we're expendable.
- 3. Heavy fighting erupted there today after a two-day cease-fire.
- 4. The plan calls for a cease-fire and UN supervision of the country.
- 5. UN officials are expressing cautious optimism that the latest cease-fire is holding.
[ cease 造句 ]