来自法语方言gaufre, 蜂窝，词源同weave, waffle. 因其打洞如同蜂窝而得名。
- gopher (n.)
- burrowing squirrel, 1812, American English, perhaps an Englishing of Louisiana French gaufre "honeycomb, waffle," said to have been used by French settlers in reference to small mammals on analogy of the structure of their burrows, from Old French gaufre, walfre (12c.), which is from Frankish or some other Germanic source. The rodent was the nickname of people from Arkansas (1845) and later Minnesota (1872). The gopherwood tree of the Bible (used by Noah to make the ark, Gen. vi:14) is unrelated; it is from Hebrew gofer, name of a kind of wood now unidentified, perhaps meaning the cypress.
- 1. Hyperlinks can also go to newsgroups and to Gopher, Telnet, and FTP sites.
- 超链接还可以转到新闻组或gopher 、 Telnet和FTP站点.
- 2. Gopher Prairie is a place of unbearable dullness, conformity, hypocrisy, and oppression.
- 戈菲尔普雷里就是一个极其乏味 、 因循守旧 、 充满虚伪和压迫的地方.
- 3. He discovered there are competitions between two gopher villages in one area.
- 4. I want you to kill every gopher on the course!
- 5. WAIS is also available to Gopher and through WWW ( World Wide Web ).
- 全球网 ( www ) 是一种网络的超文本协议和用户界面.
[ gopher 造句 ]