TEM8 GRE TOEFL
- melodrama (n.)
- 1784 (1782 as melo drame), "a stage-play in which songs were interspersed and music accompanied the action," from French mélodrame (18c.), from Greek melos "song" (see melody) + French drame "drama" (see drama). Meaning "a romantic and sensational dramatic piece with a happy ending" is from 1883, because this was often the form of the original melodramas. Also from French are Spanish melodrama, Italian melodramma, German melodram. Related: Melodramatize.
The melodramatist's task is to get his characters labelled good & wicked in his audience's minds, & to provide striking situations that shall provoke & relieve anxieties on behalf of poetic justice. [Fowler]
- 1. The video was seven minutes of high camp and melodrama.
- 2. The action slips from comedy to melodrama and finally to tragedy.
- 3. a gripping Victorian melodrama
- 4. And sadly, there is hypocrisy all around in this melodrama.
- 令人悲哀的是, 这场闹剧中充满了只许州官放火,不许百姓点灯的双重标准.
- 5. It had all the elements of melodrama you could want.
[ melodrama 造句 ]