- n. 九，九个
- num. 九；九个
- adj. 九的，九个的
- n. (Nine)人名；(塞)尼内
- nines (n.)
- in phrase to the nines "to perfection" (1787) first attested in Burns, apparently preserves the ancient notion of the perfection of the number as three times three (such as the nine Muses).
[T]he Book of St. Albans, in the sections on blasonry, lays great stress on the nines in which all perfect things (orders of angels, virtues, articles of chivalry, differences of coat armour, etc.) occur. [Weekley]No one seems to consider that it might be a corruption and misdivision of to then anes, literally "for the one (purpose or occasion)," a similar construction to the one that yielded nonce (q.v.).
- 1. Homeboy Pete all dressed up to the nines.
- 2. She dressed up to the nines to take part in a ball.
- 3. This guy is always dressed to the nines, because he loaded.
- 他的穿着那是相当讲究, 因为他有的是钱.
- 4. Two good - looking men around 40 years old, dressed to the nines.
- 两个40岁左右、长相帅气的男子, 把自己打扮得夸张古怪.
- 5. Last year at her party, everyone was dressed to the nines.
- 去年在她搞的派对上, 大家都作了精心的打扮.
[ nines 造句 ]