- n. 喷口；水龙卷；水落管；水柱
- vt. 喷出；喷射；滔滔不绝地讲；把…典当掉
- vi. 喷出；喷射；滔滔不绝地讲
CET6+ TEM8 GRE
1. 拟声词的同源语根：*pl-(噼里啪啦,噼里,啪啦), *spl-, *sp-.
2. => plash, splash, spit, spew, spout, spatter.
3. *p- => 拍(pai)、轻拍；=> 音变：*b- => 重拍、重击。
5. spit => spout.
来自拟声词根辅音丛 sp-,吐，喷出，比较 spate,spew,spit,spout,sputter.引申诸相关词义。
- spout: see spit
- spout (v.)
- "to issue forcible, as a liquid," early 14c., related to Middle Dutch spoiten "to spout" (Dutch spuiten "to flow, spout"), North Frisian spütji "spout, squirt," Swedish sputa "to spout," from Proto-Germanic *sput-, from PIE *sp(y)eu- "to spew, spit" (see spew (v.)). Meaning "to talk, declaim" is recorded from 1610s. Related: Spouted; spouting.
- spout (n.)
- late 14c., from spout (v.). Cognate with Middle Dutch spoit, North Frisian spütj. It was the slang term for the lift in a pawnbroker's shop, the device which took up articles for storage, hence figurative phrase up the spout "lost, hopeless, gone beyond recall" (1812).
- 1. He replaced the boiler when the last one began to spout flames.
- 2. the spout of a teapot
- 3. Rain from the roof goes down a long spout.
- 4. This information the bank sent me is totally up the spout.
- 5. It looks like our holiday plans are up the spout.
[ spout 造句 ]