来自拉丁语 sycomorus,来自希腊语 sykomoros,非洲无花果树，字面意思为形如桑树叶的无花 果树，来自 sykon,无花果，moron,桑树，词源同 mulberry,字母 r,l 音变。
- sycamore:  The sycamore is etymologically either the ‘fig-mulberry’ or the ‘mulberrymulberry’. The word came via Old French sicamor and Latin sycomorus from Greek sūkómoros. This was a compound based on móron ‘mulberry’, its first element being either Greek súkon ‘fig’ or an adaptation of Hebrew shiqmāh ‘mulberry’. It was originally used in English for a type of fig tree (the sycomores mentioned in the Bible – as in ‘The sycomores are cut down, but we will change them into cedars’, Isaiah 9:10 – are fig trees), and the modern application to a variety of maple did not emerge until the 16th century.
- sycamore (n.)
- mid-14c., sicamour "mulberry-leaved fig tree," from Old French sicamor, sagremore, from Latin sycomorus, from Greek sykomoros "African fig-tree," literally "fig-mulberry," from sykon "fig" (see fig) + moron (see mulberry). But according to many sources this is more likely a folk-etymology of Hebrew shiqmah "mulberry."
A Biblical word, originally used for a wide-spreading shade tree with fig-like fruit (Ficus sycomorus) common in Egypt, Palestine, Syria, etc., whose leaves somewhat resemble those of the mulberry; applied in English from 1580s to a large species of European maple (also plane-tree), perhaps because both it and the Biblical tree were notable for their shadiness (the Holy Family took refuge under a sycamore on the flight to Egypt), and from 1814 to the North American shade tree that also is called a buttonwood, which was introduced to Europe from Virginia 1637 by Filius Tradescant).
Spelling apparently influenced by sycamine "black mulberry tree," which is from Greek sykcaminos, which also is mentioned in the Bible (Luke xvii:6). For the sake of clarity, some writers have used the more Hellenic sycomore in reference to the Biblical tree.
- 1. The furniture is made of sycamore, beech and leather.
- 2. The rabbit tires and falls, landing inside the hollow trunk of a sycamore tree, where he is trapped.
- 兔子掉到了一棵无花果树的空树干里, 怎么挣扎也出不去.
- 3. He took out his sycamore scroll and placed it by the candle.
来自英汉文学 - 汤姆历险
- 4. There is considerable evidence that sycamore cell - wall xyloglucan is the same as that isolated from SEPS.
- 5. There is considerable evidence that sycamore wall xyloglucan is the same as that isolated from SEPS.
[ sycamore 造句 ]