- vt. 镇压；把…压扁；使沉默
- vi. 受挤压；发出挤压声；挤入
- n. 壁球；挤压；咯吱声；南瓜属植物；（英）果汁饮料
CET6+ TEM8 IELTS GRE TOEFL CET6
2. discussion, percussion => quatere 'shake, strike' => quassare 'shake to pieces, break' => cashier, quash, squash.
来自古法语 esquasser,来自通俗拉丁语*exquassare,粉碎，压碎，来自 ex-,向外，quassare,使粉 碎，词源同 quash.引申诸相关词义。
- squash: see quash
- squash (v.)
- "to crush, squeeze," early 14c., squachen, from Old French esquasser, escasser "to crush, shatter, destroy, break," from Vulgar Latin *exquassare, from Latin ex- "out" (see ex-) + quassare "to shatter" (see quash "to crush"). Related: Squashed; squashing.
- squash (n.1)
- gourd fruit, 1640s, shortened borrowing from Narraganset (Algonquian) askutasquash, literally "the things that may be eaten raw," from askut "green, raw, uncooked" + asquash "eaten," in which the -ash is a plural affix (compare succotash).
- squash (n.2)
- 1610s, "act of squashing," from squash (v.). The racket game called by that name 1899; earlier (1886) it was the name of the soft rubber ball used in it.
- 1. In the squash court his chief aim is to flatten me.
- 2. Amazing place he's got there—squash courts, swimming pool, jacuzzi, the works.
- 3. Squash was once thought to offer all-round fitness.
- 4. He hurt his back playing squash.
- 5. a bottle of orange squash
[ squash 造句 ]