- adj. 荒凉的；无人烟的
- vt. 使荒凉；使孤寂
CET6+ TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1. de- "completely" + sol- "alone" + -ate.
2. => leave alone, desert.
3. => "without companions," also "uninhabited".
de-, 向下，强调。sole, 单独的。即孤零零的，荒凉的。
- desolate: see sole
- desolate (adj.)
- mid-14c., "without companions," also "uninhabited," from Latin desolatus, past participle of desolare "leave alone, desert," from de- "completely" (see de-) + solare "make lonely," from solus "alone" (see sole (adj.)). Sense of "joyless" is 15c.
- desolate (v.)
- late 14c., from desolate (adj.). Related: Desolated; desolating.
- 1. Half-ruined, hardly a building untouched, it's a desolate place.
- 2. a bleak and desolate landscape
- 3. The house was desolate, ready to be torn down.
- 这房子没人居住, 等着拆除.
- 4. He has been desolate since his wife died.
- 5. The town has a desolate visage.
[ desolate 造句 ]