CET6+ TEM4 IELTS GRE TOEFL CET6
de-, 强调，整个的。-vour, 吃，词源同herbivore, voracity. 即整个吃下去，狼吞虎咽。
- devour (v.)
- early 14c., from Old French devorer (12c.) "devour, swallow up, engulf," from Latin devorare "swallow down, accept eagerly," from de- "down" (see de-) + vorare "to swallow" (see voracity). Related: Devoured; devouring.
- 1. Finally, making a dreadful mess, they devour the fruit.
- 2. Larger fish devour the smaller ones.
- 3. A medium-sized dog will devour at least one can of food per day.
- 4. Insects would make it impossible for us to live in the world; they would devour all our crops and kill our flocks and herds , if it were not for the protection we get from insect - eating animals.
- 昆虫会使我们无法在这个世界上生存: 如果不是由于食虫动物的 保
- 5. When one of the pack falls through weakness, the others devour him.
- 要是有一个狼因为羸弱而倒下, 其它的狼就会把它吞吃下去.
来自英汉文学 - 嘉莉妹妹
[ devour 造句 ]