- n. 部门；扇形，扇区；象限仪；函数尺
- vt. 把…分成扇形
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL
来自拉丁语 secare,切，分，来自 PIE*sek,切，砍，词源同 segment,bisect.-ct,过去分词格，-or, 名词后缀。引申词义部门，领域等。
- sector (n.)
- 1560s, "section of a circle between two radii," from Late Latin sector "section of a circle," in classical Latin "a cutter, one who cuts," from sectus, past participle of secare "to cut" (see section (n.)). Translated Greek tomeus in Latin editions of Archimedes. Meaning "area, division" appeared 1920, generalized from military sense (1916) of "part of a front," based on a circle centered on a headquarters. As a verb from 1884. Related: Sectoral; sectorial.
- 1. The news gave a fillip to the telecommunications sector.
- 2. The news from Body Shop rattled the rest of the retail sector.
- 3. Hungary may have to lower its hopes of shrinking its state sector.
- 4. The staff are forbidden to tender for private-sector work.
- 5. The private sector, by contrast, has plenty of money to spend.
[ sector 造句 ]