来自grace, 恩惠，眷顾，神恩。原为宗教用语，指神对人的愉悦，高兴，恩宠，同时，也可理解为神对人的致意，感谢（人的善行）。后词义通用化。词源同grateful, congratulation.
- gratify (v.)
- c. 1400, "to bestow grace upon;" 1530s, "to show gratitude to," from Latin gratificari "to do favor to, oblige, gratify," from gratus "pleasing" (see grace (n.)) + root of facere "to make, do, perform" (see factitious). Meaning "to give pleasure to" is from 1560s. Related: Gratified; gratifying.
- 1. He did that to gratify his girlfriend's vanity.
- 2. I do not think that young and amiable poets are bound to gratify its taste.
- 3. She dilated on the beauty of the park and the Hall to gratify him.
- 4. It will gratify you to see how much your services are valued.
- 5. You have roused my curiosity. And now you must gratify it.
- 你现在已经激起我的好奇心了, 那现在你别在卖关子了.
[ gratify 造句 ]