来自古英语 scealu,壳，鳞片，来自 Proto-Germanic*skalo,切片，分片，来自 PIE*skel,切，分 开，词源同 scale,shell.引申词义页岩。
- shale: see scale
- shale (n.)
- 1747, possibly a specialized use of Middle English schale "shell, husk, pod" (late 14c.), also "fish scale," from Old English scealu (see shell (n.)) in its base sense of "thing that divides or separate," in reference to the way the rock breaks apart in layers. Compare Middle English sheel "to shell, to take off the outer husk" (late 15c.). Geological use also possibly influenced by German Schalstein "laminated limestone," and Schalgebirge "layer of stone in stratified rock."
- 1. We must find economical methods for extracting oil from shale.
- 2. We can extract oil from shale.
- 3. More ammonium sulphate solution is being recovered in the process of distilling oil shale.
- 4. The limestone, sandstone and shale of this area were soft.
- 这个地区的灰岩 、 砂岩和页岩都是很柔软的.
- 5. Thin layers of sandy shale, and carbonaceous fragments are locally present.
[ shale 造句 ]