ex-, 向外，此处表强调。-pi, 虔诚，弥补，词源同pity, pious. 原指宗教上的虔诚，弥补过失， 请求神的原谅。后词义通用化。
- expiate: see pious
- expiate (v.)
- c. 1600 (OED 2nd ed. print entry has a typographical error in the earliest date), from Latin expiatus, past participle of expiare "to make amends, atone for" (see expiation). Related: Expiable (1560s); expiated; expiating.
- 1. He had a chance to confess and expiate his guilt.
- 2. Even death would not expiate all his crimes.
- 3. Now I was to expiate all my offences at the gallows.
- 4. He tried to expiate his crimes by giving money to the church.
- 5. I do not wish to expiate, but to live.
- 我不想赎罪, 只想生活.
[ expiate 造句 ]