- n. 喷雾；喷雾器；水沫
- vt. 喷射
- vi. 喷
- n. (Spray)人名；(英)斯普雷
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
2. sprout => spray.
来自中古荷兰语 sprayen,喷洒，喷射，来自 Proto-Germanic*sprewjan,散开，展开，来自 PIE*sper, 播洒，播种，展开，词源同 spark,spread. spray can 喷雾罐
- spray (v.)
- "sprinkle liquid in drops," 1520s, from Middle Dutch sprayen, from Proto-Germanic *sprewjan (cognates: German sprühen "to sparkle, drizzle," Spreu "chaff," literally "that which flies about"), from extended form of PIE root *sper- (4) "to sow, scatter" (see sprout (v.)). Related: Sprayed; spraying.
- spray (n.1)
- "small branch," mid-13c., of uncertain origin. Perhaps related to Old English spræc "shoot, twig" (see sprig), and compare Danish sprag in same sense.
- spray (n.2)
- "water blown by waves," 1620s, from spray (v.).
- 1. The walls have been horribly vandalized with spray paint.
- 2. The walls had been horribly vandalized with spray paint.
- 3. The lotion is dispensed by a handy pump action spray.
- 4. The moon was casting a rainbow through the spray from the waterfall.
- 5. Spray rose up from the surface of the water.
[ spray 造句 ]