TEM8 GRE TOEFL
1. refrigerator（冰箱） => frigid.
来自拉丁语frigidus, 寒冷的，来自PIE*srig, 冷，词源同fridge,sang-froid. 同时，用于指性冷淡。
- frigid (adj.)
- 1620s, "intensely cold," from Latin frigidus "cold, chill, cool," figuratively "indifferent," also "flat, dull, trivial," from stem of frigere "be cold;" related to noun frigus "cold, coldness, frost," from Proto-Italic *srigos-, from PIE root *srig- "cold" (cognates: Greek rhigos "cold, frost"). The meaning "wanting in sexual heat" is attested from 1650s, originally of males. Related: Frigidly; frigidness.
- 1. A snowstorm hit the West today, bringing with it frigid temperatures.
- 2. "Well, dear," her hostess would reply with a frigid smile.
- 3. My husband says I am frigid.
- 4. There was a frigid atmosphere in the room.
- 5. Asia extends across the frigid, temperate and tropical zones.
- 亚洲地跨寒 、 温、热三带.
[ frigid 造句 ]