CET6 TEM4 IELTS TOEFL
来自PIE*gwele, 橡实，球体，词源同globe. 因呈球体而得名，用于解剖学术语。
- gland (n.)
- 1690s, from French glande (Old French glandre "a gland," 13c.), from Latin glandula "gland of the throat, tonsil," diminutive of glans (genitive glandis) "acorn, nut; acorn-shaped ball," from PIE root *gwele- (2) "acorn" (cognates: Greek balanos, Armenian kalin, Old Church Slavonic zelodi "acorn;" Lithuanian gile "oak"). Earlier English form was glandula (c. 1400); Middle English also had glandele "inflamed gland" (c. 1400). Extended from tonsils to glands generally.
- 1. Her mother has an underactive adrenal gland.
- 2. This is a snake's poison gland.
- 3. The duct that drains the entire gland is the main duct.
- 4. Bronchography may reveal dilated enlarged ducts of hypertrophic gland.
- 5. It is also an endocrine gland secreting at least two important hormones.
[ gland 造句 ]