- heredity (n.)
- 1530s, from Middle French hérédité (12c.), from Latin hereditatem (nominative hereditas) "heirship, inheritance, condition of being an heir," from heres (genitive heredis) "heir, heiress," from PIE root *ghe- "to be empty, left behind" (source also of Greek khera "widow"). Legal sense of "inheritable quality or character" first recorded 1784; the modern biological sense seems to be found first in 1863, introduced by Herbert Spencer.
- 1. the debate over the effects of heredity and environment
- 2. Radiation has a strong effect on the heredity of fruit flies.
- 3. Do heredity and environment determine a man's character?
- 遗传和环境决定一个人的性格 吗 ?
- 4. Some diseases are present by heredity.
- 5. Diet and exercise can influence a person's weight, but heredity is also a factor.
- 节食和运动能影响人的体重, 而遗传也是一个因素.
[ heredity 造句 ]