- n. 面纱；面罩；遮蔽物；托词
- vt. 遮蔽；掩饰；以面纱遮掩；用帷幕分隔
- vi. 蒙上面纱；出现轻度灰雾
- n. (Veil)人名；(法)韦伊；(德)法伊尔
CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1. 易混淆单词：veil, vein.
2. evil -> veil ( ev- => ve- ), 魔鬼长得太邪恶了，出门得戴着面纱，以免吓着别人。
3. 谐音“围哦” --- 围在头上遮住、盖住。
- veil:  The ultimate source of veil is Latin vēlum ‘sail, curtain, veil’, and English acquired it via Anglo-Norman veile. To reveal something is etymologically to ‘remove a veil’ from it.
- veil (n.)
- c. 1200, "nun's head covering," from Anglo-French and Old North French veil (12c., Modern French voile) "a head-covering," also "a sail, a curtain," from Latin vela, plural of velum "sail, curtain, covering," from PIE root *weg- (1) "to weave a web." Vela was mistaken in Vulgar Latin for a feminine singular noun. To take the veil "become a nun" is attested from early 14c.
- veil (v.)
- late 14c., from Old French veler, voiller (12c.), from Latin velare "to cover, veil," from velum "a cloth, covering, curtain, veil," literally "a sail" (see veil (n.)). Figurative sense of "to conceal, mask, disguise" (something immaterial) is recorded from 1530s. Related: Veiled; veiling.
- 1. He recognized the coast of England through a veil of mist.
- 2. She swathes her face in a veil of decorative muslin.
- 3. It would dishonour my family if I didn't wear the veil.
- 4. The chilling facts behind this veil of silence were slow to emerge.
- 5. He retreated behind a veil of cigarette smoke.
[ veil 造句 ]