来自中古英语 sooth,来自古英语 soth,真实的，来自 Proto-Germanic*sunthaz,真实的，来自 PIE*es-ont,真实的，来自 PIE*es,存在，是，词源同 is,essence,sin.引申比喻义安慰的，抚慰的， 名词词义真实，事实。
- sooth: [OE] Sooth ‘truth’ (which now survives in current usage only in the compound soothsayer ) goes back ultimately to Indo-European *sntyós (possible ancestor also of English sin). This was a derivative of the base *es- ‘be’, and hence etymologically means ‘that which is’. It passed into prehistoric Germanic as the adjective *santhaz.
As in English, in most other Germanic languages the word has now died out, but it survives in Swedish (sann) and Danish (sand) as an adjective meaning ‘true’. From the Old English form sōth a verb was formed, sōthian ‘prove to be true’, which has evolved into modern English soothe. Its present-day meaning did not emerge, via intermediate ‘confirm’ and ‘please or flatter by confirming or agreeing’, until the 17th century.
- sooth (n.)
- Old English soð "truth, justice, righteousness, rectitude; reality, certainty," noun use of soð (adj.) "true, genuine, real; just, righteous," originally *sonð-, from Proto-Germanic *santhaz (cognates: Old Norse sannr, Old Saxon soth, Old High German sand "true," Gothic sunja "truth").
The group is related to Old English synn "sin" and Latin sontis "guilty" (truth is related to guilt via "being the one;" see sin (v.)), from PIE *es-ont- "being, existence," thus "real, true," from present participle of root *es-, the s-form of the verb "to be" (see be), preserved in Latin sunt "they are" and German sind. Archaic in English, it is the root of modern words for "true" in Swedish (sann) and Danish (sand). In common use until mid-17c., then obsolete until revived as an archaism early 19c. by Scott, etc. Used for Latin pro- in translating compounds into Old English, such as soðtacen "prodigy," soðfylgan "prosequi."
- 1. There is sooth in bywords.
- 2. There are others, who sooth their consciences with small acts of kindness.
- 3. In sooth , I'm not concealing anything from you.
- 老实说, 我没有任何事瞒着你.
- 4. Sooth to say, I got up late.
- 说实话, 我起来晚了.
- 5. I missed your touch; the gentle caresses that warm and sooth like nothing else I know.
- 我想念你的触摸; 温柔多情的爱抚,是那般温暖,那般轻柔,不知还有什么能让我如此享受.
[ sooth 造句 ]