- cockatoo:  Cockatoo was originally a Malay word, although it has changed somewhat under the influence of English cock. It comes via Dutch kaketoe from Malay kakatua, a compound formed from kakak ‘elder brother or sister’ and tua ‘old’. A related word is cockatiel ‘small Australian parrot’ ; it comes ultimately from Portuguese cacatilha, formed from Malay kakatua with the Portuguese diminutive suffix -ilha, and it reached English via Dutch kaketielje.
- cockatoo (n.)
- 1610s, from Dutch kaketoe, from Malay kakatua, possibly echoic, or from kakak "elder brother or sister" + tua "old." Also cockatiel (1880), from Dutch diminutive kaketielje (1850), which is perhaps influenced by Portuguese. Spelling influenced by cock (n.1).
- 1. A cockatoo purchased for breeding should have a complete set of claws.
- 2. Calcium Block: It's pointless to put a calcium block cockatoo cages.
- 钙制品: 把一些钙片放进凤头鹦鹉的笼子里这是毫无意义的.
- 3. Snowball the cockatoo just loves Backstreet Boys.
- 4. It's best a companion domestic cockatoo no higher than the height of the shortest person.
- 5. The birds, a kind of cockatoo common in Australia, have distinctive pink and gray feathers.
- 这鸟, 是一种美冠鹦鹉通常在澳大利亚, 有独特的桃红色和灰色的羽状翼裂缝.
[ cockatoo 造句 ]