CET4 TEM4 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1. inter- "between" + lig- "choose, pick out" + -ence => intelligence ( inter- 尾部的字母r被同化为l, 这与com-，ab-，sub-等前缀的同化的原理和原因是相同的。).
2. => choose between, pick out between. => 从...中将其识别、区分出来。=> 引申为：understand,comprehend.
- intelligence (n.)
- late 14c., "faculty of understanding," from Old French intelligence (12c.), from Latin intelligentia, intellegentia "understanding, power of discerning; art, skill, taste," from intelligentem (nominative intelligens) "discerning," present participle of intelligere "to understand, comprehend," from inter- "between" (see inter-) + legere "choose, pick out, read" (see lecture (n.)).
Meaning superior understanding, sagacity" is from early 15c. Sense of "information, news" first recorded mid-15c., especially "secret information from spies" (1580s). Intelligence quotient first recorded 1921 (see I.Q.).
- 1. Too bad he used his intelligence for criminal purposes.
- 2. The intelligence service conceived a grand design to assassinate the War Minister.
- 3. The UN inspectors work hand in glove with the Western intelligence agencies.
- 4. Of course, literacy isn't the same thing as intelligence.
- 5. It was the first commercially available machine to employ artificial intelligence.
[ intelligence 造句 ]