1、sol- "whole, entire" => firm, solid.
2、由于“固体”给人的印象是一种固定的、一成不变的、正经的形象，因此，又可以进一步引申为：formal, ceremonial, traditional.
3、sol- + -emn => solemn => formal, ceremonial, traditional.
4、solemn + -ity.
solemn,仪式的，-ity,名词后缀。引申诸相关词义。 solemnize 举行仪式
- solemnity (n.)
- c. 1300, "observance of ceremony," from Old French solemnite, solempnete "celebration, high festival, church ceremony" and directly from Latin solemnitatem (nominative solemnitas) "a solemnity," from sollemnis (see solemn). Meaning "state of being solemn" is from 1712. Related: Solemnities.
- 1. He was smiling, but his eyes retained a look of solemnity.
- 2. The monument was unveiled with great solemnity.
- 3. The setting for this morning's signing ceremony matched the solemnity of the occasion.
- 4. The Queen was crowned with all solemnity / with all the proper solemnities.
- 5. Your solemnity will allow some quarter to playful fancy, I hope.
[ solemnity 造句 ]