- vt. 无意中听到；偷听
- vi. 无意中听到；偷听到
CET6 TEM4 IELTS 考 研
1. over- "above, beyond" + hear.
2. The notion is perhaps "to hear beyond the intended range of the voice."
3. 或者：over "在对面，在另一边，在另一端，outer".
- overhear (v.)
- "to hear what one is not meant to hear," 1540s, from over- + hear. The notion is perhaps "to hear beyond the intended range of the voice." Old English oferhieran also meant "to not listen, to disregard, disobey" (compare overlook for negative force of over; also Middle High German überhaeren, Middle Dutch overhoren in same sense). Related: Overheard; overhearing.
- 1. They were shut away in a little room where nobody could overhear.
- 2. The door is shut so that no one may overhear what is said.
- 3. They stepped aside so that their child could not overhear their conversation.
- 4. I happened to overhear what he said.
- 5. They were standing near enough for us to overhear their conversation.
[ overhear 造句 ]