- n. 讨债者；催促者
- adj. 微暗的；暗褐色的
- vt. 催讨
- n. (Dun)人名；(英)邓恩
来自PIE*dheu,尘土，烟尘，词源同down, dust. 即尘土色的，灰褐色的。
- dun: English has two words dun. The colour adjective, ‘greyish brown’ [OE], comes ultimately from Indo-European *donnos, *dusnos, which is also the source of English dusk. The now rather dated noun, ‘debtcollector’ , is an abbreviation of dunkirk, a 17th-century term for a ‘privateer’, a privately owned vessel officially allowed to attack enemy shipping during wartime.
It was originally applied from such privateers that sailed from the port of Dunkirk, on the northern coast of France, to attack British ships, and its connotations of unwarranted piracy soon spread metaphorically to one who was constantly importuning for the repayment of his loan.
=> donkey, dusk, obfuscate
- dun (v.)
- "to insist on payment of debt," 1620s, perhaps related to dunnen "to sound, resound, make a din" (c. 1200, dialectal variant of din), or shortened from dunkirk (c. 1600) "privateer," a private vessel licensed to attack enemy ships during wartime, from Dunkirk, French port from which they sailed. The oldest theory traces it to a Joe Dun, supposedly a London bailiff famous for catching defaulters. Related: Dunned; dunning. As a noun from 1620s.
- dun (adj.)
- Old English dunn "dingy brown, dark-colored," perhaps from Celtic (compare Old Irish donn "dark;" Gaelic donn "brown, dark;" Welsh dwnn "brownish"), from PIE *donnos, *dusnos "dark."
- 1. WEN SI DUN 4 lookings at the outside of the gauze curtain absent - mindedly .
- 温斯顿 心不在焉 地看着薄纱窗帘的外面.
- 2. Mummy angry with papa, dun want to buy him birthday cake today.
- 3. Praise of White Poplar is a famous essay of Mao Dun.
- 4. Internationally acclaimed composer, Tan Dun conducts his composition , 2000 Passion.
- 5. Dun & amp ; Bradstreet is the largest mercantile agency in the United States.
[ dun 造句 ]