- n. 墙面板；木瓦；小招牌（尤指医生或律师挂的营业招牌）；鹅卵石
- vt. 用盖板覆盖
来自拉丁语 scindula,木板，薄板，屋顶板，来自 scindere,分开，切开，来自 PIE*skei,分开， 切开，词源同 shin,shed.-le,小词后缀。引申词义招牌。shingle 卵石滩
- shingle: English has two distinct words shingle. The older, ‘roof tile’ , was borrowed from Latin scindula, a variant of scandula ‘roof tile’. This was probably derived from scandere ‘ascend’ (source of English ascend, descend, scan, etc), the underlying notion being of rows of tiles rising one above the other like steps. Shingle ‘beach pebbles’  is of unknown origin; it may be related to Norwegian singl ‘coarse sand’ and North Frisian singel ‘gravel’. Shingles , incidentally, the name of a viral infection, comes from Latin cingulum ‘girdle’, a close relative of English cincture ‘girdle’: the disease is often characterized by skin eruptions that almost encircle the body.
=> ascend, descend, scan; cincture
- shingle (n.1)
- "thin piece of wood," c. 1200, scincle, from Late Latin scindula (also the source of German Schindel), altered (by influence of Greek schidax "lath" or schindalmos "splinter") from Latin scandula "roof tile," from scindere "to cleave, split," from PIE root *sked- "to split." Meaning "small signboard" is first attested 1842. Sense of "woman's short haircut" is from 1924; the verb meaning "to cut the hair so as to give the impression of overlapping shingles" is from 1857.
- shingle (n.2)
- "loose stones on a seashore," 1510s, probably related to Norwegian singl "small stones," or North Frisian singel "gravel," both said to be echoic of the sound of water running over pebbles.
- shingle (v.)
- "cover with shingles" (of houses), 1560s, from shingle (n.). Related: Shingled; shingling.
- 1. Then he scraped away the dirt, and exposed a pine shingle.
- 接着他刨去泥土, 下面露出一块松木瓦块.
来自英汉文学 - 汤姆历险
- 2. He hung out his grandfather's shingle.
- 3. On this beach there's too much shingle and not enough sand.
- 4. Every leaf , brick , shingle and blade of grass is fresh - washed and shining.
- 每片树叶, 每块砖瓦乃至一 叶小草,都被洗刷一新,闪闪发光.
- 5. We listened to the rain on the shingle roof.
[ shingle 造句 ]