- vi. 徘徊，潜行
- vt. 在…搜寻；潜行于
- n. 徘徊，潜行；悄悄踱步
1. Midnight Prowl 午夜潜行.
2. Polar Prowl 极地漫游: 极地漫游(VCD)(野生动物地球村系列).
3. pro- "forward" + owl (猫头鹰) => prowl: 像猫头鹰一样向前潜行、搜寻猎物。
- prowl (v.)
- late 14c., prollen, "move about in search of something," of unknown origin, with no known cognates. Spelling with -w- is from 1500s (compare bowls), but pronounced "prôll" till late 18c. Meaning "go stealthily in search of prey" is first recorded 1580s. Related: Prowled; prowling. The noun, in on the prowl, is attested from 1803.
- 1. The new administration are on the prowl for ways to reduce spending.
- 2. Their fellow travellers are a mix of honeymooners, single girls on the prowl and elderly couples.
- 3. Look out for burglars on the prowl. If you see anything suspicious, call the police immediately.
- 小心巡视,提防盜贼,如有任何可疑情况, 马上打电话报警.
- 4. In the evening I used to prowl about, hunting for diversion.
- 晚上我总是偷偷地溜出去, 想寻找一点消遣.
- 5. There was a fox on the prowl near the chicken coop.
[ prowl 造句 ]