- vi. 后悔；忏悔
- vt. 后悔；对…感到后悔
- adj. [植] 匍匐生根的；[动] 爬行的
TEM4 CET4 IELTS GRE CET6
1、re- "intensive prefix" + pent- "regret".
- repent (v.)
- c. 1300, "to feel such regret for sins or crimes as produces amendment of life," from Old French repentir (11c.), from re-, here probably an intensive prefix (see re-), + Vulgar Latin *penitire "to regret," from Latin poenitire "make sorry," from poena (see penal). The distinction between regret (q.v.) and repent is made in many modern languages, but the differentiation is not present in older periods. Related: Repented; repenting.
- 1. I am a sinner and I need to repent of my sins.
- 2. Those who refuse to repent, he said, will be punished.
- 3. Remission of sins is promised to those who repent.
- 4. It's too late to repent.
- 5. I have nothing to repent of.
[ repent 造句 ]