CET6 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研
1、over "above" + throw.
2、含义：throw from above, throw down from above, cast down from above.
3、roll over, throw over (滚下，扔下) from power.
- overthrow (v.)
- early 14c., "to knock down," from over- + throw (v.). Figurative sense of "to cast down from power, defeat" is attested from late 14c. Related: Overthrown; overthrowing. Earlier in same senses was overwerpen "to overturn (something), overthrow; destroy," from Old English oferweorpan (see warp (v.)).
- overthrow (n.)
- 1510s, "act of overthrowing," from over- + throw (n.).
- 1. These feelings are likely to make people attempt to overthrow the system.
- 2. Prosecutors in the trial allege the defendants plotted to overthrow the government.
- 3. The overthrow of the military regime was followed by a period of anarchy.
- 4. a conspiracy to overthrow the government
- 5. After the overthrow of the government, the country was in chaos.
- 政府被推翻后, 这个国家处于混乱中.
[ overthrow 造句 ]