- vt. 推翻；倾覆；破坏
- vi. 推翻；倾覆
- n. 倾覆；周转；破灭
CET6 TEM4 GRE 考 研 TOEFL
1、over "above" + turn.
2、含义：turn from above, turn down from above, roll down from above.
3、roll over, turn over (滚下，翻倒) from power.
4、另一层含义：turn across. => 翻转，翻身，周转，流通。
- overturn (v.)
- early 13c., of a wheel, "to rotate, roll over," from over- + turn (v.). Attested from c. 1300 in general transitive sense "to throw over violently;" figurative meaning "to ruin, destroy" is from late 14c. Of judicial decisions, "to reverse," it is attested from 1826. Related: Overturned; overturning.
- 1. He accused his opponents of wanting to overturn the government.
- 2. Horrified commuters saw the lorry veer across the motorway and overturn.
- 3. We saw the canoe overturn, throwing its passengers into the water.
- 我们看到独木舟倾覆了, 把上面的乘客掀入水中.
- 4. THERE never was such an overturn in this world.
来自英汉文学 - 金银岛
- 5. Some high - ranking officers plotted to overturn the government.
[ overturn 造句 ]