- n. 银；银器；银币；银质奖章；餐具；银灰色
- adj. 银的；含银的；有银色光泽的；口才流利的；第二十五周年的婚姻
- vi. 变成银色
- vt. 镀银；使有银色光泽
- n. (Silver)人名；(法)西尔韦；(英、德、芬、瑞典)西尔弗
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
来自中古英语 silver,银，来自古英语 seolfor,银，来自 Proto-Germanic*silubra,银。引申词义 银器，银白色等。金属元素银来自拉丁语 argentum,银，词源同 argent,Argentine.
- silver: [OE] The word silver probably originated in Asia Minor. Its unidentified source word was borrowed into prehistoric Germanic as *silubr-, which has evolved into German silber, Dutch zilver, Danish sølf, and English and Swedish silver. Borrowing of the same ancestral form into the Balto-Slavic languages produced Russian serebro, Polish and Serbo-Croat srebro, Lithuanian sidabras, and Latvian sidrabs.
- silver (n.)
- Old English seolfor, Mercian sylfur "silver; money," from Proto-Germanic *silubra- (cognates: Old Saxon silvbar, Old Frisian selover, Old Norse silfr, Middle Dutch silver, Dutch zilver, Old High German silabar, German silber "silver; money," Gothic silubr "silver"), from a common Germanic/Balto-Slavic term (cognates: Old Church Slavonic s(u)rebo, Russian serebro, Polish srebro, Lithuanian sidabras "silver") of uncertain relationship and origin. According to Klein's sources, possibly from a language of Asia Minor, perhaps from Akkadian sarpu "silver," literally "refined silver," related to sarapu "to refine, smelt."
As an adjective from late Old English (cognates: silvern). As a color name from late 15c. Of voices, words, etc., from 1520s in reference to the metal's pleasing resonance; silver-tongued is from 1590s. The silver age (1560s) was a phrase used by Greek and Roman poets. Chemical abbreviation Ag is from Latin argentum "silver," from the usual PIE word for the metal (see argent), which is missing in Germanic.
- silver (v.)
- "to cover or plate with silver," mid-15c., from silver (n.). Meaning "to tinge with gray" (of hair) is from c. 1600. Related: Silvered; silvering.
- 1. You have to do everything you can. You have to work your hardest. And if you do, if you stay positive, then you have a shot at a silver lining.
- 2. He and Helen celebrated their silver wedding last year.
- 3. Jane Pollock Antiques deals in silver and small collectables.
- 4. Using silver tape, they taped all the doors and windows shut.
- 5. The fall in inflation is the silver lining of the prolonged recession.
[ silver 造句 ]