- n. 亲戚；家族；同族
- adj. 同类的；有亲属关系的；性质类似的
- n. (Kin)人名；(缅)庆；(朝)紧；(匈、柬、塞)金；(中)金(普通话·威妥玛)
CET6+ TEM8 IELTS GRE 考 研
1. *gen-, *gon-, *gn- "produce, born" => eg: generate, genital, nature, gonorrhoea.
2. gen- => kin "family".
3. kin + -red "condition, rule" (同后缀的其他词：hatred) => kindred.
4. With intrusive -d- probably for phonetic reasons (cf. thunder) but perhaps encouraged by kind.
5. 同源词：kind, 还有许多其它的词。
- kin: [OE] Kin is the central English member of the Germanic branch of a vast family of words that trace their ancestry back to the prehistoric Indo- European base *gen-, *gon-, *gn-, denoting ‘produce’ (the Latin branch has given English gender, general, generate, genital, nature, etc, the Greek branch gene, genetic, gonorrhoea, etc).
Amongst the Germanic descendants of this base was *kun-, from which was derived the noun *kunjam, source of Swedish kön ‘sex’ and English kin ‘family’. Kindred  was formed from kin in early Middle English by adding the suffix -red ‘condition’ (as in hatred). Also closely related are kind and king.
=> gender, gene, general, generate, genital, kind, kindred, king, nature
- kin (n.)
- c. 1200, from Old English cynn "family; race; kind, sort, rank; nature; gender, sex," from Proto-Germanic *kunjam "family" (cognates: Old Frisian kenn, Old Saxon kunni, Old Norse kyn, Old High German chunni "kin, race;" Danish and Swedish kön, Middle Dutch, Dutch kunne "sex, gender;" Gothic kuni "family, race," Old Norse kundr "son," German Kind "child"), from PIE *gene- "to produce" (see genus).
- 1. We have notified the next of kin.
- 2. I'm her next of kin.
- 3. He comes of good kin.
- 4. What kin is he to you?
- 5. Better be blamed by our kith and kin, than be kissed by the enemy.
- 宁可让亲人责备, 切勿让敌人亲吻.
[ kin 造句 ]