- adj. 应处监禁的；监禁的；忏悔的（等于penitential）
- n. 监狱；教养所；宗教裁判所
1、penit- + -ent + -iary.
- penitentiary (n.)
- early 15c., "place of punishment for offenses against the church," from Medieval Latin penitentiaria, from fem. of penitentiarius (adj.) "of penance," from Latin paenitentia "penitence" (see penitence). Meaning "house of correction" (originally an asylum for prostitutes) is from 1806, short for penitentiary house (1776). Slang shortening pen is attested from 1884.
- 1. If forced to choose between the penitentiary and the White House for four years, I would say the penitentiary, thank you.
- 倘使不得已而要对在监狱与白宫里度过四年作一选择的话, 我会说——监狱, 谢谢.
- 2. He worked as a warden at the state penitentiary.
- 3. Next day Paul was sentenced to three years in the State Penitentiary and taken off.
- 4. While he was in the penitentiary her father died and the family broke up.
- 5. Now , you remember when you went to visit my pop in Lewisburg Penitentiary?
- 还记得你去路易斯堡监狱探望过我父亲 吗 ?
[ penitentiary 造句 ]