- pentathlon (n.)
- athletic contest of five events, 1852, from Greek pentathlon "the contest of five exercises," from pente "five" (see five) + athlon "prize, contest," of uncertain origin. Earlier in English in Latin form pentathlum (1706). The Greek version consisted of jumping, sprinting, discus and spear throwing, and wrestling. The modern version (1912) consists of horseback riding, fencing, shooting, swimming, and cross-country running.
- 1. Let's have a big round of applause for our terrific pentathlon athletes!
- 2. What is modern pentathlon? Equestrianism, fencing, swimming, shooting and cross - country race.
- 现代五项是 什么 ?马术 、 击剑 、 游泳 、 射击和 越野 跑.
- 3. When was modern pentathlon introduced to the Olympic Games?
- 4. But the incidence is especially high in case of modern pentathlon.
- 5. There were only running, wrestling, horse racing, and pentathlon at that time.
- 比赛项目只有赛跑 、 摔跤 、 赛马 、 五项全能等.
[ pentathlon 造句 ]