- n. n.收缩；畏缩；精神病学家
- vt. 使缩小，使收缩
- vi. .收缩；畏缩
CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1. shrivel 和 shrink 它们音近形近义近，并且它们似乎都来源于北欧语中音近形近义近的单词，因此它们很可能具有同源性，或者具有近亲关系。
3. s- "intensive prefix" + *crink (from crinkle, crinkle => *crink, cringe => *crink) => *scrink => shrink. (probably from PIE root *ker-/*sker- "turn, bend").
来自古英语 scrincan,收缩，枯萎，凋谢，来自 Proto-Germanic*skrink,收缩，来自 PIE*sker, 弯，转，词源同 ring,curve,scrimp.引申词义缩小，缩水等。
- shrink (v.)
- Old English scrincan "to draw in the limbs, contract, shrivel up; wither, pine away" (class III strong verb; past tense scranc, past participle scruncen), from Proto-Germanic *skrink- (cognates: Middle Dutch schrinken), probably from PIE root *(s)ker- (3) "to turn, bend" (see ring (n.1)).
Originally with causal shrench (compare drink/drench). Sense of "become reduced in size" recorded from late 13c. The meaning "draw back, recoil" (early 14c.) perhaps was suggested by the behavior of snails. Transitive sense, "cause to shrink" is from late 14c. Shrink-wrap is attested from 1961 (shrinking-wrap from 1959). Shrinking violet "shy person" attested from 1882.
- shrink (n.)
- "an act of shrinking," 1580s, from shrink (v.). Slang meaning "psychiatrist," (1966) is from head-shrinker.
- 1. Alistair saw Henry shrink, as if the words had touched a nerve.
- 2. There was a general acceptance that the defence budget would shrink.
- 3. I've seen a shrink already.
- 4. Washing wool in hot water will shrink it.
- 5. Will this soap shrink woolen clothes?
- 这种肥皂会使毛织品缩水 吗 ?
[ shrink 造句 ]