- vt. 在…上铺地毯，把地毯铺在…上；斥责
- n. 地毯；地毯状覆盖物
- n. (Carpet)人名；(罗)卡尔佩特
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
2. 同源词：carp, harvest, excerpt.
3. 分尸法：car pet 车(car)上有宠物(pet)，为了保持卫生，必须铺地毯(carpet)
5. red carpet （迎接贵宾用的）红地毯；隆重的接待
来自PIE *sker, *kerp, 砍，切，收割，词源同harvest, shear. 即用粗糙羊毛制作的毯子。
- carpet:  Originally, carpet was simply a sort of rough cloth, and medieval Latin carpīta, for example, was sometimes used for a garment made from it. In earliest English use it was a ‘table-cloth’ or ‘bed-spread’, and it was not until the 15th century that the specialized ‘floorcovering’ began to establish itself. The word itself entered English via either Old French carpite or medieval Latin carpīta, which was derived from carpīre, an alteration of Latin carpere ‘pluck’ (related to English harvest).
The underlying notion seems to be that such cloth was originally made from ‘plucked’ fabric, that is, fabric which had been unravelled or shredded.
- carpet (n.)
- late 13c., "coarse cloth;" mid-14c., "tablecloth, bedspread;" from Old French carpite "heavy decorated cloth, carpet," from Medieval Latin or Old Italian carpita "thick woolen cloth," probably from Latin carpere "to card, pluck," probably so called because it was made from unraveled, shreded, "plucked" fabric; from PIE *kerp- "to gather, pluck, harvest" (see harvest (n.)). Meaning shifted 15c. to floor coverings.
From 16c.-19c. as an adjective often with a tinge of contempt, when used of men (as in carpet-knight, 1570s) by association with luxury, ladies' boudoirs, and drawing rooms. On the carpet "summoned for reprimand" is 1900, U.S. colloquial (but compare carpet (v.) "call (someone) to be reprimanded," 1823, British servants' slang). To sweep or push something under the carpet in the figurative sense is first recorded 1953.
- carpet (v.)
- "to cover with a carpet," 1620s, from carpet (n.). Meaning "call to reprimand" is from 1840. Related: Carpeted; carpeting.
- 1. The carpet was a wedding present from the Prime Minister.
- 2. It is not possible to reposition the carpet without damaging it.
- 3. While the water was heating she decided to shake out the carpet.
- 4. We'll give her some VIP treatment and roll out the red carpet.
- 5. A grey carpet was removed to reveal the original pine floor.
[ carpet 造句 ]