- nerd:  It seems likely that nerd, a term for a dull, socially inept or otherwise obnoxious person that appeared in US slang in the early 1950s, was inspired by a whimsical creature called a ‘nerd’ that was invented by the American children’s author ‘Dr Seuss’ (Theodore Seuss Geisel (1904–91)) and introduced by him in his book If I Ran the Zoo (1950): ‘And then, just to show them, I’ll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an It-Kutch, a Preep and a Proo, a Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker, too!’ In thinking up the word he may have been influenced by Mortimer Snerd, the name of a dummy used by the American ventriloquist Edgar Bergen.
- nerd (n.)
- 1951, U.S. student slang, probably an alteration of 1940s slang nert "stupid or crazy person," itself an alteration of nut. The word turns up in a Dr. Seuss book from 1950 ("If I Ran the Zoo"), which may have contributed to its rise.
- 1. Mark claimed he was made to look a nerd.
- 2. If you call someone a nerd, it means you think he is weird and not cool.
- 3. That computer nerd is a total social misfit.
- 4. Flora: Do you consider yourself a geek or a computer nerd?
- 5. Can you believe that nerd wants to join our fraternity?
- 你敢相信那个怪人想加入我们的兄弟会 吗 ?
[ nerd 造句 ]