1、palli- + -ate.
2、字面含义为：cloaked, cover with a cloak, conceal. => alleviate without curing.
- palliate (v.)
- "alleviate without curing," early 15c., from Medieval Latin palliatus, literally "cloaked," from past participle of Late Latin palliare "cover with a cloak, conceal," from Latin pallium "cloak" (see pall (n.)). Related: Palliated; palliating; palliation.
- 1. I don't wish to palliate them, I assure you.
- 我不想掩饰, 我可以向你保证.
- 2. Organizations for writers palliate the writer's loneliness, but I doubt if they improve his writing.
- 作家的组织固然可以排遣他们的孤独, 但是我怀疑它们未必能够促进作家的创作.
- 3. I shall never attempt to palliate my own foibles by exposing the error of another.
- 4. I should never attempt to palliate my own foible by expose the error of another.
- 5. Objective: to palliate sufferings of patients, to enhance the success rate of esophagus electrode insertion.
- 目的: 减少病人痛苦, 提高插食管电极的成功率.
[ palliate 造句 ]