1. plat- => platform, flat, plateau, platoon, plate.
2. flat => plat- => plaice.
3. => 鲽鱼 (一种体形扁平的海鱼)。
4. => type of European edible flatfish.
- plaice:  The plaice is etymologically the ‘broad’ fish. Its name goes back ultimately to Greek platūs ‘broad’ (which makes it distantly related to place). From this was descended, via some missing links, late Latin platessa ‘flatfish’, which became Old French plaïs – whence English plaice.
=> place, plate, platypus
- plaice (n.)
- type of European edible flatfish, late 13c., from Old French plaise (12c., Modern French plie), from Late Latin platessa "plaice, flatfish," perhaps related to or from Greek platys "broad, flat," from PIE *plat- "to spread" (cognates: Sanskrit prathati "spreads out;" Hittite palhi "broad;" Lithuanian platus "broad;" German Fladen "flat cake;" Old Norse flatr "flat;" Old English flet "floor, dwelling;" Old Irish lethan "broad"); extended variant form of root *pele- (2) "flat; to spread" (see plane (n.1)).
- 1. Good or bad, without them his heart had no resting plaice.
- 不管东西好坏,不管人好坏, 没了它们,心便没有地方安放.
来自汉英文学 - 骆驼祥子
- 2. No, impossible to leave this dear bustling plaice, impossible to leave Tianqiao, leave Beiping.
- 不, 他不能离开这个热闹可爱的地方, 不能离开天桥, 不能离开北平.
来自汉英文学 - 骆驼祥子
- 3. A pleasant place to place a plaice is a placea plaice is to be placed.
- 4. A pleasant place to place a plaice is a place ato be placed.
[ plaice 造句 ]