- n. 小母牛
- n. (Heifer)人名；(德)海费尔
1. 国际小母牛组织（Heifer International）是一家位于美国阿肯色州小石城的一家非盈利性慈善机构，致力于救助全球贫困与饥饿。国际小母牛组织向全球范围内的贫困家庭提供家畜、农作物以及可持续农业教育等。
- heifer (n.)
- Old English heahfore, West Saxon; Northumbrian hehfaro, heffera (plural), of unknown origin, not found outside English. The first element seems to be heah "high," common in Old English compounds with a sense of "great in size." The second element may be related to Old English fearr "bull," or to Old English faran "to go" (giving the whole a sense of "high-stepper"); but there are serious sense difficulties with both conjectures. Liberman offers this alternative:
Old English seems to have had the word *hægfore 'heifer.' The first element (*hæg-) presumably meant 'enclosure' (as do haw and hedge), whereas -fore was a suffix meaning 'dweller, occupant' ....
In modern use a female that has not yet calved, as opposed to a cow, which has, and a calf, which is an animal of either sex not more than a year old. As derisive slang for "a woman, girl" it dates from 1835.
- 1. A heifer bellowed in her stall.
- 2. An American farmer named Dan West developed the idea for Heifer International.
- 3. They black heifer chalk , said ,'she is white , Bos cretatus. "
- 他们替一头小黑牛抹上石膏粉, 便说: “ 你已经白了. ”
- 4. HEIFER saw an Ox hard at work harnessed to a plow.
- 5. The goddess delivered the heifer to Argus, to be strictly watched.
[ heifer 造句 ]