TEM8 GRE TOEFL
1、prot- "first" + agon- + -ist.
2、本身的直接含义：leading person in any cause or contest. => actor who plays the chief or first part, principal character in a story, drama, etc.
3、Mistaken sense of "advocate, supporter" (1935) is from misreading of Greek protos as Latin pro- "for".
- protagonist (n.)
- 1670s, "principal character in a story, drama, etc.," from Greek protagonistes "actor who plays the chief or first part," from protos "first" (see proto-) + agonistes "actor, competitor," from agon "contest" (see act (n.)). Meaning "leading person in any cause or contest" is from 1889. Mistaken sense of "advocate, supporter" (1935) is from misreading of Greek protos as Latin pro- "for."
- 1. a leading protagonist of the conservation movement
- 2. She was herself a vehement protagonist of sexual equality.
- 3. At the end of the story, the protagonist emerges as a powerful pugilist.
- 4. The writer characterized the protagonist in his latest novel as lazy and selfish.
- 5. This is a female protagonist Kettering hand action adventure tour!
[ protagonist 造句 ]